On Saturday night, three Democrats will take the stage and appear together for the second of only six scheduled debates.
Since the DNC’s limited schedule will give little time for voters to learn about their field of candidates, we have provided this helpful guide to fill in the gaps.
Here Are Five Things You Need to Know About…
1. Clinton is ensnared in a growing scandal for having exclusively used a private email server for government work to skirt public records laws. The FBI, along with two independent government watchdogs are investigating the security of her unprecedented setup, and have found at least 400 email messages on her server containing classified information.
2. Despite claiming to have been “Dead Broke,” the Clintons made over $30 million dollars in 2014 and early 2015. Clinton made much of her money through paid speaking fees, charging as much as $300,000 dollars to speak at universities and other engagements around the country.
3. The Clinton Foundation violated its ethics agreement with the Obama administration, receiving millions from foreign sources with business before the government while Hillary served as Secretary of State. While Hillary assured the Obama administration that any new or increased contributions to the Clinton Foundation by foreign governments would be submitted for review by the State Department, none of the seven government donations had been submitted to the State Department for review.
4. As Secretary of State, Clinton oversaw an unraveling Middle East, an expansion of terrorism, a newly assertive Russia, and the retreat of American influence on the world stage. Clinton’s legacy as Secretary of State includes setting in motion the dangerous Iran deal, the failed Russia Reset, a disastrous Libya conflict, and a complete collapse of leadership during the Benghazi attack…just to name a few.
5. Clinton consistently receives poor marks on trustworthiness and honesty. A recent poll of swing state voters in Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, has nearly two-thirds saying Hillary is not honest and trustworthy.
1. Sanders is a self-described Socialist Senator from Vermont, who is currently leading in the first primary state of New Hampshire. According to a recent poll, Bernie Sanders maintains a solid lead over Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire, with a 9-point advantage.
2. Sanders has floated a top marginal tax rate of 90 percent. When asked whether Sanders thought a 90 percent marginal tax rate was too high, he responded, “No.”
3. Sanders supports even more government intervention into health care and advocates for a single-payer health care system.
4. According to a Wall Street Journal analysis, Sanders has proposed new government programs costing at least $18 trillion dollars over 10 years during his presidential campaign.
5. Sanders has flip-flopped on background checks for gun purchases, voting against required checks in the 1990s to supporting expanded mandatory checks in 2013.
1. O’Malley is a former two-term governor Of Maryland, Baltimore mayor, and city councilman.
2. O’Malley increased taxes 40 times as governor, costing taxpayers $9.5 billion, including an infamous “rain tax” on property owners due to storm water management efforts. In 2008 he signed the largest tax increase in Maryland history into law, a package including taxes on tobacco, vehicle titling, corporate income taxes, and comprehensive changes to income tax rates.
4. Spending went up every year O’Malley was in office, increasing 30 percent over the course of his administration. Spending outpaced growth in people’s income and left the state with a sluggish economy and a budget shortfall of $1.2 billion.
5. O’Malley managed to make Obamacare even worse, setting up a $261 Million exchange in Maryland that was among the “worst-performing in the nation…” The exchange failed to work and needed to be completely scrapped and overhauled. Switching to different technology cost an additional $40 to $50 million.
Elections Election 2016