Democrats aren’t standing today, but less than 5 years ago, all 54 Democrats in the Democrat-controlled Senate voted to:
- double the length of a new border fence with Mexico
- end the diversity visa lottery
- spend $40 billion on border security
- double the number of border agents to 40,000
- stop family members of U.S. citizens from coming here on reunification visas
- create “merit-based” visas
REMINDER: According to a recent Harvard-Harris Poll, Americans agree with President Trump on immigration:
- 65% support a DACA deal that ends chain migration, eliminates the visa lottery, & secures a border with a wall
- 68% of respondents opposed the visa lottery
- 79% think immigration should be based on skills, rather than family ties
- 60% believe dreamers should not be given preference to bring the relatives to the United States
- 61% think current border security is inadequate
- 54% support a physical barrier along the southern border
- 79% want secure borders rather than open borders
Look at the bipartisan standing ovation President Bill Clinton received when he called on Congress to strengthen our borders and help stop the abuse of our immigration laws.
PRESIDENT CLINTON: All Americans, not only in the States most heavily affected but in every place in this country, are rightly disturbed by the large numbers of illegal aliens entering our country. The jobs they hold might otherwise be held by citizens or legal immigrants. The public service they use impose burdens on our taxpayers. That's why our administration has moved aggressively to secure our borders more by hiring a record number of new border guards, by deporting twice as many criminal aliens as ever before, by cracking down on illegal hiring, by barring welfare benefits to illegal aliens. In the budget I will present to you, we will try to do more to speed the deportation of illegal aliens who are arrested for crimes, to better identify illegal aliens in the workplace... We are a nation of immigrants. But we are also a nation of laws. It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years, and we must do more to stop it.
Flashback: Democrats Talked Tough On Immigration
RNC Research: Dems Border Brouhaha
RNC Research: A Tale Of Two Countries: Canada’s Immigration System Versus The U.S.
Immigration Border Security