8 Years Ago In Denver, Obama And Biden Promised Hope And Change, But Leave Behind A Trail Of Broken Promises
THE TOP 10 BROKEN PROMISES OF THE OBAMA-BIDEN PRESIDENCY
- BROKEN PROMISE #1: Obama failed to pay for all of his reckless spending, increasing the national debt by 80 percent.
- BROKEN PROMISE #2: Biden claimed Obama would put more police on the street, but according to the FBI the number of law enforcement officers has fallen by over 100,000.
- BROKEN PROMISE #3: Obama and Biden pledged to lower premiums and health care costs, but both have continued to rise despite ObamaCare.
- BROKEN PROMISE #4: Despite his lofty rhetoric to give our troops the care they need, Obama's administration has been plagued with scandal at the Veteran Affairs Department.
- BROKEN PROMISE #5: After investing millions of dollars, Obama failed to create the 5 million new clean energy jobs he promised.
- BROKEN PROMISE #6: Student debt has nearly doubled after Obama and Biden promised to make college more affordable.
- BROKEN PROMISE #7: ISIS and terrorism continue to flourish around the world, despite Obama's promise to create a new coalition to combat the terror group.
- BROKEN PROMISE #8: Obama enshrined Iran's right to enrich uranium and cut their breakout time to a bomb in half, despite his promise that they would never obtain nuclear weapons.
- BROKEN PROMISE #9: Obama said he would withdraw from Iraq in a responsible way while also finishing the fight in Afghanistan, but Iraq has descended into chaos and the Taliban is resurgent in Afghanistan.
- BROKEN PROMISE #10: Obama said he'd protect Social Security for future generations but it's still on the path to insolvency.
BROKEN PROMISE #1: OBAMA SAID HE WOULD "PAY FOR EVERY DIME" OF HIS SPENDING PLANS
PROMISE: Obama Said He Would "Pay For Every Dime" Of His Plans. THEN-SENATOR BARACK OBAMA: "Now, many of these plans will cost money, which is why I've laid out how I'll pay for every dime." (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks At The Democrat National Convention, Denver, CO, 8/28/08)
Far From Paying For "Every Dime" Of His New Spending, Obama Has Seen The Debt And Deficit Skyrocket During His Time In Office
BROKEN: Under The Obama Administration, The Debt Has Increased By 80 Percent, A Total Of Over $8.7 Trillion, From $10.627 Trillion In 2009 To $ 19.400 Trillion As Of July 21, 2016. ("Daily History Of The Debt," U.S. Department Of Treasury, Accessed 7/23/16)
- The Washington Times Headline: "$20 Trillion Man: National Debt Nearly Doubles During Obama Presidency" (Dave Boyer, "$20 Trillion Man: National Debt Nearly Doubles During Obama Presidency," The Washington Times, 11/1/15)
In 2012, At The End Of Obama's First Term, The Annual Federal Budget Deficit Totaled $1.09 Trillion, Up From $458 Billion In 2008. ("Budget Of The U.S. Government Fiscal Year 2017 Historical Tables," Office Of Management And Budget, 2/16)
BROKEN PROMISE #2: BIDEN PROMISED THAT OBAMA WOULD PUT MORE COPS ON THE STREET
PROMISE: Biden Promised That Obama Would Put More Cops On The Street . THEN-SENATOR JOE BIDEN: "Barack will put more cops on the street, put security back in Social Security, and he'll never, ever, ever give up until we achieve equal pay for women." (Sen. Joe Biden, 2008 Convention Speech, Denver, CO, 8/27/08)
According To The FBI, Fewer Law Enforcement Officers Were Employed In 2014 Than In 2008
BROKEN: According To The FBI, In 2014 2008 There Were 125,016 Law Enforcement Officers Compared To 2008, Falling From 1,024,228 To 899,212. (Full Time Law Enforcement Employees, Federal Bureau Of Investigation's Uniform Crime Report, Accessed 7/27/15)
- According To The FBI, In 2008 There Were 1,024,228 Law Enforcement Officers Employed. (Full Time Law Enforcement Employees, Federal Bureau Of Investigation's 2008 Crime In The United States Report, Accessed 7/27/15)
- In 2014, This Number Was Down To 899,212. (Full Time Law Enforcement Employees, Federal Bureau Of Investigation's 2014 Crime In The United States Report , Accessed 7/27/16)
Municipal And Township Police Department's Average Employment Decreased From 2007 To 2013
According To The Bureau Of Justice Statistics, Municipal And Township Police Departments On Average Employed Less Officers In 2013, The Most Recent Year Data Through The Bureau Of Justice Statistics Is Available, Than In 2007. "Municipal and township police departments, which compose 98% of local police departments, employed an average of 2.1 full-time officers per 1,000 residents in 2013. This average was less than that observed in the 2007 (2.3 per 1,000) and 2003 (2.5 per 1,000) LEMAS Surveys." (Brian A. Reaves, "Local Police Departments, 2013: Personnel, Policies, And Practices," Bureau Of Justice Statistics, 5/14/15)
The Average Number Of Full Time County Officers Was The Same In 2007 And 2013. "In both 2007 and 2013, county police departments employed an average of 1.7 fulltime officers for every 1,000 residents served."(Brian A. Reaves, "Local Police Departments, 2013: Personnel, Policies, And Practices," Bureau Of Justice Statistics, 5/14/15)
BROKEN PROMISE #3: OBAMA MADE A PROMISE TO DRASTICALLY LOWER HEALTHCARE PREMIUMS
PROMISE: And That His Plan "Will Lower Your Premiums." THEN-SENATOR BARACK OBAMA: "Now -- now is the time to finally keep the promise of affordable, accessible health care for every single American. If you have health care -- if you have health care, my plan will lower your premiums. If you don't, you'll be able to get the same kind of coverage that members of Congress give themselves." (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks At The Democrat National Convention, Denver, CO, 8/28/08)
- PROMISE: Biden: Obama Will Bring Down Health Care Costs By $2,500. THEN-SENATOR JOE BIDEN: "Barack Obama -- Barack Obama will bring down health care costs by $2,500 for the average family and, at long last, deliver affordable, accessible health care for every American." (Sen. Joe Biden, Remarks At The Democrat National Convention, Denver, CO, 8/27/08)
Under ObamaCare Premiums And Deductibles Have Soared
BROKEN: Since Obama Was Elected In 2008, Annual Premiums For Families Have Increased Almost $5,000, Or 38 Percent, From $12,680 To $17,545. ("2015 Employer Health Benefits Survey," Kaiser Family Foundation, 9/23/15)
BROKEN: Politifact Rated The Promise To Lower Health Care Costs By $2,500 As Broken. "In assessing this promise, we consider the following: An author of the $2,500 figure has disavowed its use as it relates to premiums alone. An independent health care analyst projects that premiums will go up for the typical family. The federal agency implementing the Affordable Care Act did not provide evidence that premiums will go down for the typical family. We rate this a Promise Broken." (J.B. Wogan, "Cut The Cost Of A Typical Family's health Insurance Premium By Up To $2,500 A Year," Politifact, 8/31/12)
Health Care Costs Top American Families' List Of Financial Concerns. "Fifteen percent of Americans cite healthcare costs as the most important financial problem facing their family. In addition to healthcare costs, Americans also point to low wages, debt, college expenses and housing costs as pressing financial concerns for their family. About one in 10 Americans say their family faces no financial problems." (Zac Auter, "Healthcare Costs Top U.S. Families' Financial Concerns," Gallup, 4/27/16)
The Associated Press Headline: "Significant Premium Hikes Expected Under Obama Health Law" For 2017. (Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar and Tom Murphy, "Significant Premium Hikes Expected Under Obama Health Law," The Associated Press , 4/28/16)
- Large Premium Hike Requests Are Expected As States Begin To File For New Rates This Summer. "Expect insurers to seek significant premium increases under President Barack Obama's health care law, in a wave of state-level requests rippling across the country ahead of the political conventions this summer." (Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar and Tom Murphy, "Significant Premium Hikes Expected Under Obama Health Law," The Associated Press , 4/28/16)
- "Insurers Say The Law's Coverage Has Been A Financial Drain" Setting The Stage For Double Digit Premium Hikes. "Insurers say the law's coverage has been a financial drain for many of them, and they're setting the stage for 2017 hikes that in some cases could reach well into the double digits." (Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar and Tom Murphy, "Significant Premium Hikes Expected Under Obama Health Law," The Associated Press , 4/28/16)
Former Obama CMS Official Michael Adelberg: "It Only Makes Sense That Most Exchange Insurers Will Request Significant Rate Increases For 2017." "'Given that most carriers have experienced losses in the exchanges, often large losses, it only makes sense that most exchange insurers will request significant rate increases for 2017,' said Michael Adelberg, a former CMS official under President Obama and now a consultant at FaegreBD." (Peter Sullivan, "Insurers Warn Losses From Obamacare Are Unsustainable," The Hill, 4/15/16)
In 2016, 41 States Saw Deductible Increases With 17 States Experiencing Double Digit Increases. "These increases were deep and widespread. In total, 41 states saw average deductibles increase, with 17 states - representing 45 percent of total exchange enrollment - seeing double-digit spikes. The largest increases were in Mississippi (39 percent), Washington (31 percent), South Carolina (26 percent), Louisiana (24 percent), Florida (23 percent), Michigan and Vermont (22 percent), Arizona (21 percent), and North Carolina and Rhode Island (20 percent)." (Nathan Nascimento, "The Latest Problem Under The Affordable Care Act: Deductibles," The National Review , 04/12/16)
BROKEN PROMISE #4: OBAMA SAID HE'D GIVE VETERANS THE "CARE AND BENEFITS THEY DESERVE"
PROMISE: Obama Said He Would Provide Our Nation's Troops The "Care And Benefits They Deserve When They Come Home." THEN-SENATOR BARACK OBAMA: "As commander-in-chief, I will never hesitate to defend this nation, but I will only send our troops into harm's way with a clear mission and a sacred commitment to give them the equipment they need in battle and the care and benefits they deserve when they come home." (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks At The Democrat National Convention, Denver, CO, 8/28/08)
The Obama Administration Has Neglected The VA Resulting In A Corrosive Culture, Systematic Failures, And Long Wait Times Causing The Deaths Of Veterans In Need Of Immediate Care
BROKEN: In April 2014, The VA's Backlog Scandal Broke In Which At Least 40 Veterans Were Found To Have Died Due To Neglect And Lengthy Delays At The VA. "At least 40 veterans died while waiting for appointments to see a doctor at the phoenix veterans affairs health care system, CNN reports. The patients were on a secret list designed to hide lengthy delays from VA officials in Washington, according to a recently retired VA doctor and several high-level sources." (Michael Pearson, "The VA's Troubled History," CNN, 5/30/14)
A June 2014 VA Audit Showed The Scandal Was Worse Than Originally Thought Affecting At Least 110,000 Veterans Spanning Nationwide. "Nationwide, there are roughly 57,436 Veterans who are waiting to be scheduled for care and another 63,869 who over the past ten years have enrolled in our healthcare system and have not been seen for an appointment." ( Access Audit System Wide Review, Department Of Veterans Affairs, 6/14)
A June 2014 White House Report Found The VA Had A "Corrosive Culture" Under The Obama Administration. "A corrosive culture has led to personnel problems across the Department that are seriously impacting morale and, by extension, the timeliness of healthcare. The problems inherent within an agency with an extensive field structure are exacerbated by poor management and communication structures, distrust between some VA employees and management, a history of retaliation toward employees raising issues, and a lack of accountability across all grade levels." (Rob Nabors "Issues Impacting Access To Timely Care At VA Medical Facilities," Public Summary Of Rob Nabors' VA Report Request By President Obama , 6/27/14)
A 2016 OIG Report Found That Some VA Supervisors Were Coercing Their Employees To Fraudulently Scam The System. "VA employees reported to investigators that they sometimes engaged in misleading scheduling at the behest of their supervisors." (Will Weissert, "Internal VA Report Finds Misleading Wait Time Data In Texas," The Associated Press , 3/10/16)
Instead Of Attacking The Problem Head On, Obama's New VA Secretary Compared Hospital Wait Times To Those At Disneyland "'The days to an appointment is really not what we should be measuring. What we should be measuring is the veteran's satisfaction,' McDonald told reporters at a Christian Science Monitor breakfast in Washington, according to The Hill newspaper. 'When you go to Disney, do they measure the number of hours you wait in line?' he asked. 'What's important is what's your satisfaction with the experience.'" (Rebecca Shabad, "Veterans Affairs Secretary Compares Wait Times To Lines At Disneyland," CBS, 5/23/16)
BROKEN PROMISE #5: OBAMA PLEDGED TO CREATE 5 MILLION NEW JOBS IN RENEWABLE ENERGY
PROMISE: Obama Said He Would Create "5 Million New Jobs That Pay Well" In The Renewable Industry. THEN-SENATOR BARACK OBAMA: "And I'll invest $150 billion over the next decade in affordable, renewable sources of energy -- wind power, and solar power, and the next generation of biofuels -- an investment that will lead to new industries and 5 million new jobs that pay well and can't be outsourced." (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks At The Democrat National Convention, Denver, CO, 8/28/08)
Obama Ended Up Spending Tens Of Billions To Create Just Thousands Of Renewable Jobs
BROKEN: Bloomberg Business Week Headline: "The 5 Million Green Jobs That Weren't" (Ira Boudway, "The 5 Million Green Jobs That Weren't," BloombergBusinessWeek, 10/12/12)
Obama's Stimulus Set Aside $90 Billion For A "Grab Bag Of Thousands" Of Renewable Energy Projects, But Energy Department Data Showed That Through 2012, Only 28,854 Jobs Had Been Created. "The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 set aside $90 billion in renewable energy grants and loans for a grab bag of thousands of projects-wind farms, solar installations, natural gas fueling stations, biofuel research, and a $5 billion weatherization project for low-income homes. Digging into the public records of the $21 billion spent so far through 19 U.S. Department of Energy programs reveals 3,960 projects that employ 28,854 people. That's not 5 million." (Ira Boudway, "The 5 Million Green Jobs That Weren't," BloombergBusinessWeek, 10/12/12)
A 2013 Institute For Energy Research Analysis Showed That The $26 Billion In Renewable Energy Loan Guarantees Made By The Obama Administration Since 2009 Had Only Produced 2,298 Permanent Jobs. "Without much fanfare, the Department of Energy (DOE) recently updated the list of loan guarantee projects on its website. Unlike in 2008, when Barack Obama pledged to create 5 million jobs over 10 years by directing taxpayer funds toward renewable energy projects, there were no press conferences or stump speeches. But the data are nonetheless revealing: for the over $26 billion committed since 2009, DOE Section 1703 and 1705 loan guarantees have created only 2,298 permanent jobs - that's $11.45 million per job." ("The Department of Energy Committed $11 Million Per Job," Institute For Energy Research, 5/8/13)
- Institute For Energy Research In 2013: "DOE Section 1703 And 1705 Loan Guarantees Have Created Only 2,298 Permanent Jobs - That's $11.45 Million Per Job." ("The Department of Energy Committed $11 Million Per Job," Institute For Energy Research, 5/8/13)
There Were Only 769,000 Renewable Energy Jobs Total In The U.S. In 2015 According To The International Renewable Energy Agency. "Driven by growth in wind and solar, renewable energy employment in the United States increased by 6% in 2015 to reach 769,000 jobs." ("Renewable Energy and Jobs Annual Review 2016," International Renewable Energy Agency, 2016)
BROKEN PROMISE #6: OBAMA & BIDEN PROMISED TO MAKE COLLEGE AFFORDABLE
PROMISE: Obama Said He Would Make College Affordable. THEN-SENATOR BARACK OBAMA: "And we will keep our promise to every young American: If you commit to serving your community or our country, we will make sure you can afford a college education." (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks At The Democrat National Convention, Denver, CO, 8/28/08)
- PROMISE: Biden Vowed That He And Obama Would Make College More Affordable. THEN-SENATOR JOE BIDEN: "Barack Obama knows that any country that out-teaches us today will out-compete us tomorrow. That's why he'll invest in the next generation of teachers and why he'll make college more affordable. That's the change we need." (Sen. Joe Biden,Remarks At The Democrat National Convention, Denver, CO, 8/27/08)
But Student Debt Has Nearly Doubled On His Watch, Making College Less Affordable
BROKEN: Under Obama's Presidency Student Debt Has Nearly Doubled, Increasing By 91 Percent Or $644 Billion. ("Student Loans Owned And Securitized, Outstanding," Federal Reserve Bank Of St. Louis, Accessed 5/26/16)
- In The First Quarter Of 2009, U.S. Student Debt Was $706 Billion, And In The First Quarter Of 2016 That Number Had Climbed To $1.350 Trillion. ("Student Loans Owned And Securitized, Outstanding," Federal Reserve Bank Of St. Louis , Accessed 5/26/16)
A Pew Research Study Found That "Student Debt Burdens Are Weighing On The Economic Fortunes Of Younger Americans," As 37 Percent Of Households Under 40 Have Student Debt, "The Highest Share On Record." "Student debt burdens are weighing on the economic fortunes of younger Americans, as households headed by young adults owing student debt lag far behind their peers in terms of wealth accumulation, according to a new Pew Research Center analysis of government data. About four-in-ten U.S. households (37%) headed by an adult younger than 40 currently have some student debt-the highest share on record, with the median outstanding student debt load standing at about $13,000." (Richard Fry, "Young Adults, Student Debt and Economic Well-Being," Pew Research, 5/14/16)
Student Debt Has Grown So Much It Is Now "Second Only To Mortgage Debt On Family Balance Sheets." "Student loans are gobbling up a growing share of household debt. Borrowing for education accounted for 10.2 percent of that debt at the end of 2015, about three times as much as in 2005. That makes student loans second only to mortgage debt on family balance sheets, according to data from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York." (Suzanne Woolley, "Student Debt Is Eating Into The Household Budget," Bloomberg, 5/13/16)
College Tuition And Fees Rose 3 Percent For The 2015-2016 School Year, Despite The Lack Of Inflation In The Wider Economy. "College got more expensive again this fall, the College Board reported today. Published tuition and fees rose about 3% from last year even though the government reports there has been basically no inflation in the rest of the economy over the past 12 months." (Kim Clark, "College Board Says Tuition Rose Faster Than Inflation Again This Year," Time, 11/4/15)
BROKEN PROMISE #7: OBAMA CLAIMED HE WOULD CREATE "NEW PARTNERSHIPS" TO DEFEAT TERRORISM
PROMISE: Obama Said He Would "Build New Partnerships" To Defeat Terrorism. THEN-SENATOR BARACK OBAMA: "I will build new partnerships to defeat the threats of the 21st century: terrorism and nuclear proliferation, poverty and genocide, climate change and disease." (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks At The Democrat National Convention, Denver, CO, 8/28/08)
Obama's Coalition And Diplomatic Outreach Has Been Weak And Ineffective At Fighting Terrorism And Nuclear Proliferation
BROKEN: A December 2015 Intelligence Report On ISIS "Predict[ed] That The Self-Proclaimed Islamic State Will Spread Worldwide And Grow In Numbers." "A new U.S. intelligence report on ISIS, commissioned by the White House, predicts that the self-proclaimed Islamic State will spread worldwide and grow in numbers, unless it suffers a significant loss of territory on the battlefield in Iraq and Syria, U.S. officials told The Daily Beast." (Kimberly Dozier, "U.S. Intel To Obama: ISIS Is Not Contained," The Daily Beast, 12/6/15)
The Intelligence Report "Stands In Stark Contrast To Earlier White House Assurances That ISIS Had Been 'Contained' In Iraq And Syria." "The report stands in stark contrast to earlier White House assurances that ISIS had been 'contained' in Iraq and Syria. And it is already spurring changes in how the U.S. grapples with ISIS, these officials said." (Kimberly Dozier, "U.S. Intel To Obama: ISIS Is Not Contained," The Daily Beast, 12/6/15)
The Report Is Also An Admission That The Coalition's Efforts "Have Been Outpaced By ISIS's Ability To Expand And Attract New Followers." "It's also a tacit admission that coalition efforts so far-dropping thousands of bombs and deploying 3,500 U.S. troops as well as other coalition trainers-have been outpaced by ISIS's ability to expand and attract new followers, even as the yearlong coalition air campaign has helped local forces drive ISIS out of parts of Iraq and Syria." (Kimberly Dozier, "U.S. Intel To Obama: ISIS Is Not Contained," The Daily Beast, 12/6/15)
Obama's U.S.-Arab Coalition Appeared To Be More Symbolic Than Focused On Destroying ISIS. "But as the West steps up its war against ISIS, it appears that the involvement of the U.S.-led coalition's Arab members -- all of them much closer geographically to the terror group than their Western partners -- is drawing down. Bombing ISIS: Arabs lag far behind West Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are down to about one mission against ISIS targets each month, a U.S. official told CNN on Monday. Bahrain stopped in the autumn, the official says, and Jordan stopped in August. CNN contacted all of these countries for comment but has only received a response from Jordan. Why aren't Arab countries more involved in the fight against ISIS?" (Nick Thompson, "War On ISIS: Why Arab States Aren't Doing More," CNN, 12/17/15)
Director Of The CIA Admitted To The Select Committee On Intelligence That Despite The Obama Administration's Efforts To Combat ISIL, It Has Not Reduced The Terror Groups Capability To Carry Out Attacks. CIA DIRECTOR JOHN BRENNAN: "Unfortunately despite all of our progress against ISIL on the battlefield and in the financial realm, our efforts have not reduced the group's terrorism capability and global reach. The resources needed for terrorism are very modest. And the group would have to suffer even heavier losses on territory man power, and money for its terrorist capacity to decline significantly. Moreover the group's foreign branches and global networks can help preserve its capacity for terrorism regardless of events in Iraq and Syria. In fact as the pressure mounts on ISIL we judge that it will intensify its total global terror campaign to maintain its dominance of the global terrorism agenda." (John Brennan, Select Committee On Intelligence, 06/16/16)
BROKEN PROMISE #8: OBAMA SAID HE WOULD PREVENT IRAN FROM OBTAINING NUCLEAR WEAPONS
PROMISE: Obama Said He Would "Renew The Tough, Direct Diplomacy" Needed To "Prevent Iran From Obtaining Nuclear Weapons." THEN-SENATOR BARACK OBAMA: "I will rebuild our military to meet future conflicts, but I will also renew the tough, direct diplomacy that can prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons and curb Russian aggression." (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks At The Democrat National Convention, Denver, CO, 8/28/08)
Obama Ultimately Signed A Bad Nuclear Agreement Giving Iran A Breakout Time Of "Six Months, Or Even Less"
In July 2015, President Obama Announced The Iran Nuclear Agreement. "Today, after two years of negotiations, the United States, together with our international partners, has achieved something that decades of animosity has not -- a comprehensive, long-term deal with Iran that will prevent it from obtaining a nuclear weapon." (Barak Obama, Statement On The Iran Deal, The White House, 7/14/15)
- The President Said This Deal Will Prevent Iran From Developing A Nuclear Weapon. "Today, because America negotiated from a position of strength and principle, we have stopped the spread of nuclear weapons in this region. Because of this deal, the international community will be able to verify that the Islamic Republic of Iran will not develop a nuclear weapon." (Barak Obama, Statement On The Iran Deal, The White House, 7/14/15)
BROKEN: Although The President Promised Iran Would Not Have The Capacity For Nuclear Weapons, In August 2015, Obama Conceded That 15 Years From Now, Iran's Nuclear Breakout Time "Shrinks Back" To A Mere "Matter Of Months." NPR'S STEVE INSKEEP: "I just want to be absolutely clear on this: 15 years from now, as some provisions expire, what is Iran's breakout time going to be?" PRESIDENT OBAMA: "Well, it shrinks back down to roughly where it is now." INSKEEP: "Which is close to zero?" OBAMA: "Well, which is a matter of months. Because keep in mind that theoretical breakout times don't match up with practical breakout times." (President Barack Obama, Interview With Steve Inskeep , Washington, D.C., 8/10/15)
- "[A]merican Officials Also Acknowledged That After The First Decade, The Breakout Time Would Begin To Shrink." "But American officials also acknowledged that after the first decade, the breakout time would begin to shrink. It was unclear how rapidly, because Iran's longer-term plans to expand its enrichment capability will be kept confidential." (David E. Sanger and Michael R. Gordon, "Deal Reached On Iran Nuclear Program; Limits On Fuel Would Lessen With Time," The New York Times , 7/14/15)
- And A Newly Released "Secret Document" Shows Obama Made A Side Deal To Reduce Iran's Breakout Time Before The End Of The Nuclear Deal. "The U.S. says the Iran nuclear agreement is tailored to ensure that Iran would need at least 12 months to "break out" and make enough weapons grade uranium for at least one weapon. But based on a comparison of outputs between the old and newer machines, if the enrichment rate doubles, that breakout time would be reduced to six months, or even less if the efficiency is more than double, a possibility the document allows for." ( "AP: Confidential Cocument Eases Iran Nuke Constraints,"The Associated Press, 7/18/16)
BROKEN PROMISE #9: OBAMA SAID HE WOULD END THE "WAR IN IRAQ RESPONSIBLY AND FINISH THE FIGHT AGAINST AL-QAIDA AND THE TALIBAN IN AFGHANISTAN"
PROMISE: Obama Said He Would End The "War In Iraq Responsibly And Finish The Fight Against Al Qaida And The Taliban In Afghanistan." THEN-SENATOR BARACK OBAMA: "I will end this war in Iraq responsibly and finish the fight against Al Qaida and the Taliban in Afghanistan." (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks At The Democrat National Convention, Denver, CO, 8/28/08)
President Obama Withdrawal Of Troops From Iraq Allowed ISIS To Fill The Vacuum Left Behind
In October 2011, President Obama Announced The Full Withdrawal of Troops From Iraq. PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: "So today, I can report that, as promised, the rest of our troops in Iraq will come home by the end of the year. After nearly nine years, America's war in Iraq will be over." (Barak Obama, Remarks By The President On Ending The War In Iraq, The White House, 10/21/11)
- Shortly After Obama Announced The Withdrawal Major General Jeffrey Buchanan Said "I Cringe Whenever Anybody Makes A Pronouncement That Al Qaeda Is On Its Last Legs." "'I cringe whenever anybody makes a pronouncement that Al Qaeda is on its last legs,' said Maj. Gen. Jeffrey Buchanan, the American military's top spokesman in Iraq. 'I think one day we are going to look around and say it's been a long time since we have heard from Al Qaeda, and maybe then we can say it is on its last legs.'" (Michael Schmidt and Eric Schmitt, "Leaving Iraq, U.S. Fears New Surge Of Qaeda Terror," The New York Times, 11/5/11)
BROKEN: After The Withdrawal ISIS Took Over Many Of The Sunni Areas Of Iraq While The Iraqi Government Was Left Helpless. "However, as the events of the past week show, that success now looks hollow. Islamist militant group Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has taken over many of the Sunni areas of the country, with Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's Shiite-dominated government unable to restore control. In the north, Kurdish forces have taken over the city of Kirkuk, further undermining the Baghdad government. It was Dec. 14, 2011, when the last contingent of U.S. troops exited the country, and much of the Western world stopped paying attention to what was happening in Baghdad." (Adam Taylor, "How Iraq Unraveled Since The U.S. Withdrawal, In 10 Steps," The Washington Post , 6/13/14)
"As The United States Prepares To Withdraw Its Troops From Iraq By Year's End, Senior American And Iraqi Officials Are Expressing Concern That Al Qaeda's Offshoot Here … Is Poised For A Deadly Resurgence." "As the United States prepares to withdraw its troops from Iraq by year's end, senior American and Iraqi officials are expressing growing concern that Al Qaeda's offshoot here, which just a few years ago waged a debilitating insurgency that plunged the country into a civil war, is poised for a deadly resurgence." (Michael Schmidt and Eric Schmitt, "Leaving Iraq, U.S. Fears New Surge Of Qaeda Terror," The New York Times, 11/5/11)
- Al Qaeda In Iraq Shifted "Its Tactics And Strategies … To Exploit Gaps Left By The Departing American Troops And To Try To Reignite Sectarian Violence In The Country." "Although the organization is certainly weaker than it was at its peak five years ago and is unlikely to regain its prior strength, American and Iraqi analysts said the Qaeda franchise is shifting its tactics and strategies - like attacking Iraqi security forces in small squads - to exploit gaps left by the departing American troops and to try to reignite sectarian violence in the country." (Michael Schmidt and Eric Schmitt, "Leaving Iraq, U.S. Fears New Surge Of Qaeda Terror," The New York Times, 11/5/11)
The Taliban In Afghanistan Has Seen A Resurgence Recently As The War Continues
BROKEN: The Taliban Continues To Have "A Significant Footprint In Afghanistan." "The Taliban have a significant footprint in Afghanistan, according to Bill Roggio, the editor of The Long War Journal, an online publication that is tracking Taliban control. Mr. Roggio has been able to confirm that about one-fifth of the country is controlled or contested by the Taliban, but he emphasized that this was a conservative estimate. 'They probably either control or heavily influence about a half of the country,' he said." (Sarah Almukhtar And Karen Yourish, "More Than 14 Years After U.S. Invasion, The Taliban Control Large Parts Of Afghanistan," The New York Times, 4/19/16)
- The Taliban Has Regained Control Due To Obama's Irresponsible Troop Withdrawal. "Taliban control has fluctuated over the past 14 years. The Taliban government collapsed after the American invasion, but the group regained control of multiple districts between 2005 and 2009, Mr. Roggio said. They withdrew from these areas after the temporary surge of American troops at the beginning of President Obama's administration, but they have been reclaiming territory since 2013." (Sarah Almukhtar And Karen Yourish, "More Than 14 Years After U.S. Invasion, The Taliban Control Large Parts Of Afghanistan," The New York Times, 4/19/16)
Al Qaeda Is Reemerging In Afghanistan With U.S. Intelligence Officials Assessing If "They Could Again Become A Breeding Ground For Attacks On The United States," "Even as the Obama administration scrambles to confront the Islamic State and resurgent Taliban, an old enemy seems to be reappearing in Afghanistan: Qaeda training camps are sprouting up there, forcing the Pentagon and American intelligence agencies to assess whether they could again become a breeding ground for attacks on the United States." (Eric Schmitt and David E. Sanger, "As U.S. Focuses On ISIS And The Taliban, Al Qaeda Re-Emerges," The New York Times , 12/29/15)
- "The Scope Of Al Qaeda's Deadly Resilience In Afghanistan Appears To Have Caught American And Afghan Officials By Surprise." (Eric Schmitt and David E. Sanger, "As U.S. Focuses On ISIS And The Taliban, Al Qaeda Re-Emerges," The New York Times , 12/29/15)
Former Deputy CIA Director Michael Morell: "I Do Worry About The Rebirth Of AQ In Afghanistan Because Of What Their Target List Will Be - Us." "'I do worry about the rebirth of AQ in Afghanistan because of what their target list will be - us,' said Michael Morell, the deputy director of the C.I.A. until two years ago, whose book, 'The Great War of Our Time,' recounts the efforts of the Bush and Obama administrations to destroy the Qaeda leadership." (Eric Schmitt and David E. Sanger, "As U.S. Focuses On ISIS And The Taliban, Al Qaeda Re-Emerges," The New York Times , 12/29/15)
BROKEN PROMISE #10: OBAMA CLAIMED HE WOULD PROTECT SOCIAL SECURITY
PROMISE: Obama Said He Would "Protect Social Security For Future Generations." THEN-SENATOR BARACK OBAMA: "Now is the time to change our bankruptcy laws, so that your pensions are protected ahead of CEO bonuses, and the time to protect Social Security for future generations." (Sen. Barack Obama, Remarks At The Democrat National Convention, Denver, CO, 8/28/08)
But Obama Has Failed To Act To Protect Social Security, And The Social Security Trust Fund Is Now Projected To Become Insolvent Seven Years Sooner Than When Obama Took Office
BROKEN: In 2008, Social Security's Board Of Trustees Projected That The Program's Trust Fund Would Be Solvent Through 2041. "Annual cost will exceed tax income starting in 2017, at which time the annual gap will be covered with cash from redemptions of special obligations of the Treasury that make up the trust fund assets until these assets are exhausted in 2041. Separately, the DI fund is projected to be exhausted in 2025 and the OASI fund in 2042." ("The 2008 Annual Report Of The Board Of Trustees Of The Federal Old-Age And Survivors Insurance And Federal Disability Insurance Trust Funds," The Board Of Trustees, Federal Old-Age And Survivors Insurance And Federal Disability Insurance Trust Funds , 4/10/08)
- The 2016 Social Security Trustees Report Projects That Social Security's Trust Fund Will Become Depleted In 2034. "The Trustees project that the combined trust funds will be depleted in 2034, the same year projected in last year's report." ("A Summary Of The 2016 Annual Reports," Social Security And Medicare Boards Of Trustees, 6/22/16)
The Washington Post's Robert Samuelson: Obama Has "Failed" Deal With An Aging Society And The Need To Fix Social Security. "President Obama unintentionally damaged his legacy recently by urging an expansion of Social Security benefits and, thereby, reminding everyone (and particularly future historians) that he failed to deal with one of the largest issues facing the country: an aging society." (Robert Samuelson, "Obama's Social Security Failure," The Washington Post , 6/12/16)
In The Last 40 Years, Seniors Have Not Seen An Annual Cost Of Living Adjustment (COLA) Increase In Social Security Benefits Only Three Times, All Of Them Under Obama. "Tens of millions of seniors will see no annual cost-of-living adjustment in their Social Security checks in 2016, the government said Thursday, unwelcome news that also will flatten benefit payments for retired federal workers and service members. It is only the third time in 40 years - all of them during the Obama administration - that the Social Security Administration has not increased its payments." (Lisa Rein, "Bad News For Retirees: No Social Security Cost-Of-Living Increase, Higher Medical Costs For Many," The Washington Post , 10/12/15)
Elections Hillary Clinton