We have learned some incredible new information about Fusion GPS.
To summarize the web of connections outlined below… we now know a Russian backed, Democrat connected research firm, with a history of smearing individuals and pitching fake information to reporters, was hired by opponents of President Trump to compile a “dossier” of supposed Trump ties to Russia.
The information that was compiled was taken seriously by the highest levels of our intelligence community along with our media, despite obvious signs that the firm behind it was tied to Russia.
As a reminder, this phony “dossier” helped spark the investigation now led by Special Counsel Mueller.
Frightening. This issue deserves A LOT more reporting and interest.
- Fusion GPS is the firm that hired ex-British spy Christopher Steele to put together a phony dossier during the 2016 campaign on supposed Trump ties to Russia.
- The dossier, full of Russian sourced information, was shopped to dozens of U.S. journalists during and immediately after the 2016 campaign, and eventually reported on despite obvious red flags to its accuracy.
- The dossier’s claims made it into the hands of U.S. intelligence officials, and were included in a top secret intelligence briefing for President Obama.
- The dossier's claims of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia helped spark the FBI investigation now supervised by Special Counsel Robert Mueller.
- We now know the dossier is full of bogus, false information. Christopher Steele even admitted in a lawsuit recently that most of his work in the dossier was never fully verified.
- Fusion GPS is deeply connected to Democrat politics. The co-founder of Fusion GPS is reportedly a Hillary Clinton donor. Fusion GPS allegedly was retained by Planned Parenthood, and did work for Democrats to investigate Mitt Romney in 2012.
In recent days, we have learned more about Fusion GPS:
- Fusion GPS has deep ties to Russia.
- According to the testimony of William Browder this morning, along with other reporting, Fusion GPS was hired by Russians to defend Russian government connected officials from allegations of fraud.
- Fusion GPS was also employed by Russians to fight against the Magnitsky Act and has worked on issues with Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya.
- Browder spoke this morning about Fusion GPS’ tactics to work over reporters, and its efforts to run smear campaigns on behalf of their clients.
- It is troubling to hear about allegations that a Russian-backed opposition research firm, with a history of smearing individuals and pitching fake information to reporters, was then hired by opponents of President Trump and the information that was compiled was taken seriously by the highest levels of our intelligence community along with our media.
See below for more information on this morning’s testimony on Fusion GPS, and HERE for an RNC Research document on the firm:
SEN. LINDSEY GRAHAM: This whole story reads like some kind of novel that nobody would buy, it’s got to be fiction, but unfortunately maybe it’s true. Let’s just break down sort of why you’re here. You believe that Fusion GPS should of registered under FARA, because they were acting on the behalf of the Russians?
WILLIAM BROWDER: That’s correct.
SEN. GRAHAM: So, I just want to absorb that for a moment. The group that did the dossier on President Trump hired this British spy, wound up getting it to the FBI. You believe they were working for the Russians?
BROWDER: And in the Spring and Summer of 2016 they were receiving money indirectly from a senior Russian government official.
SEN. GRAHAM: Okay. So, these are the people that were trying to undermine Donald Trump by showing the nefarious ties to Russia. Is that what you’re saying?
BROWDER: Well, what I’m saying with 100% certainty is that they were working to undermine the Magnitsky act and the timing of that.
SEN. GRAHAM: But, the Fusion GPS products apparently as they hired a guy to look into Trump?
SEN. GRAHAM: Right
SHANNON BREAM: Good to see you this morning, Senator. Why should Americans care about what this guy is telling you this morning and what it means with regard to Russia?
SEN. LINDSEY GRAHAM: Well who is this guy? He was the lawyer for Mr. Magnitsky, who was killed by Putin, because he exposed a bunch of fraud and criminal misconduct inside Putin’s Russia. So as a tribute to Mr. Magnitsky, he is trying to tell the world about how Putin works. But this was the most fascinating exchange yet. Fusion GPS is an organization that was colluding with the Democratic Party, hired a former British spy to go out and try to find dirt on Donald Trump and the Russians. The dossier – that – the famous dossier, came out of this exercise and this man in 2016 filed a complaint against Fusion GPS saying they were actually working for the Russian government. So what blows my mind is that the Russians were backing Fusion GPS, who produced a dossier to undercut Donald Trump.